One of the most important aspects of a good spaghetti sauce is having meat in it. Whether it be ground beef or ground turkey….it is a must. To spice it up, I used grass-fed buffalo meat which is a wonderfully lean and flavorful choice. I used up the rest of my tomatoes and created a delicious sauce as well!
1 lb ground grass-fed buffalo
1/2 white onion minced
3 large tomatoes
1 6 oz can Tomato Paste
1/2 cup to 3/4 water
7-8 leaves fresh basil minced
4 Tbs Olive Oil
1/2 Tbs Oregano
1/2 Tbs Italian Seasoning
1 clove Garlic minced
a good shake of Salt, pepper, garlic powder
2 Large Zucchinis
- Cut tomatoes in half place in baking dish with 2 Tbs olive oil, salt, garlic powder and oregano. Bake at 375 for 10-15 minutes.
- In a blender, add roasted tomatoes, tomato paste, 2 Tbs olive oil and 1/2 Tbs Italian Seasoning . Pulse for 10 seconds.
- Pour into a pot and set to a simmer (low medium heat), Add water slowly.
- Chop up onion, garlic and basil (mince). Add to the sauce. Let simmer for 20 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- While that cooks, in a separate pan start browning buffalo meat on medium heat. Add to sauce when cooked.
- For the zucchini, I cut into thin strips by using a cheese slicer. Otherwise using a sharp knife and a steady hand will work. OR even better is a fancy veggie spiralizer.
- Boil zucchini noodles in a sauce pan with 2-3 cups of water for 5-7 minutes or until tender.
- Assemble a bed of noodles and a thick coat of tomato sauce! Enjoy!